No, you’re not crazy for wanting to vacation with your kids…all the while thinking it’s possible to relax and have some fun.
My sister and her family, including three small children, just came home from a tropical vacation and from the looks of it, everyone came back happy and looking forward to their next adventure. My thoughts began to swirl about packing, transporting everyone safely, dealing with airports, etc. I must admit I was surprised to hear it went so well and the kids were full of memories and experiences they wanted to share.
So I started digging and asking, “How can you make the most out of traveling with small children AND have a relaxing fun time for yourself as well?” There is a lot of preparation and information to guide you. One particular article was helpful, but I wanted to focus this post on the one nugget of information that stood out to me.
Lynn O’Rourke Hayes, editor of FamilyTravel.com says, “The more the kids are involved,” she says, “the deeper the memory.”
I truly believe this to be the most important step in making the most out of traveling with kids. I’ve put together some ideas to help you begin your journey on the right foot:
- Get a map out and show your kids where you plan on traveling
- Play a trivia game to assess how much your kids already know about where they’re going
- Have some conversation about the weather, location, activities, currency, culture, etc. ahead of time
- While you’re planning, include your kids in the conversation regarding airline tickets, train rides, logistics. You’ll be surprised at how much they learn by actually doing this with you. Not to mention the appreciation for your hard work.
If you’re kids are old enough:
- Allow them to do some of their own research on-line
- Encourage them to take the lead in packing their own bags
- Help them create an itinerary of what a great vacation looks like to them and of course, edit from there!
All in all, if kids are involved in the process, they will have deeper memories and have a sense of ownership. If you’re asking where in the world are the best places to travel with kids, see a few of our favorites below:
- Grand Canyon
Share your memories, tips and travel destinations with us. Bon Voyage!