One of our favorite cities, here are a few fun facts about Istanbul:
- Istanbul is the only city in the world that hovers two continents – Europe and Asia
- With a population of 13.9 million, Istanbul is one of the largest urban agglomerations in Europe and is the 2nd largest city in the world by population within city limits.
- Istanbul is home to the most mosque in Turkey. It has 3,113 mosques, including the historical Sultanahmet Mosque and the Süleymaniye Mosque.
- The Grand Bazaar in operation since 1461, is one of the oldest and largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops. It attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily.
- Istanbul has had several different names in the past, including Byzantium, Constantinople, Stamboul and Tsarigrad.
- Most visitors to Istanbul are from Germany, Russia, France, UK, Netherlands, Italy and Iran.